This podcast covers the extra lesson in Perspective Bible Study by Melanie Newton.
Heaven on Earth-S13Ep13
“The LORD reigns! Let the earth be happy! Let the many coastlands rejoice!” (Psalm 97:1)
On earth, the Rapture of the believers is a signal that the time of the Gentiles has ended. The Great Tribulation begins. Most of the book of Revelation describes what happens then. Many Jews will believe during the Tribulation as well as some Gentiles. Revelation chapter 19 describes what will happen at the end of the 7 years of Tribulation. Jesus will return to earth. He’ll fight the enemies on earth, defeat them, and set up His kingdom prophesied so much in both the Old and New Testaments.
The Kingdom begins on earth
Based upon an understanding of Scripture, when Jesus returns to set up His Kingdom (Revelation 20), He will be bringing His people with Him. We will be coming with Him for the battle where He defeats the Antichrist and all who are fighting with Him against God. Victory is assured. Jesus will win!
King Jesus will be king over all. Jerusalem will be His capital. Nations will still form, including Israel. Revelation 20 says this kingdom will last 1000 years. A thousand years is called a millenium. So, His kingdom is called the Millenial Kingdom. Isaiah is filled with descriptions of the Millenial Kingdom, especially chapters 11 and 65. Every Christian who had died on earth or been raptured will be returning with Jesus and will be staying on to serve Him in His Kingdom.
Those earthly humans who trusted in Christ during the Tribulation will live on past the battle of Armageddon described in Revelation chapter 19. They will be mortal humans dealing with the whole change of rulers. But, all the new rulers will always do the right thing.
King Jesus will reign over a partially restored earth.
King Jesus will reign over an earth that is partially restored to its original created state.
- Isaiah tells us that animals will revert back to being vegetarian. Animals and people will not fear one another so there will be no fierce, violent and dangerous creatures.
- Future millennials will marry and have babies. They will live to be well over 100 years again. Never will a baby or child die. Only the wicked will die early.
- People will build houses, plant crops, and eat well. They will work and enjoy the benefits. Work will be a pleasure.
- Needs will be addressed immediately because God says in Isaiah 65:24, “Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.”
- There is no reason to think there won’t be cars, planes, computers, roads, buildings, gardens, and places to decorate and make beautiful.
- Worship will be awesome and focus on Jesus in Jerusalem. Technology could make that possible across the planet. That worship will include resurrected humans and mortal humans.
- All will call on Jesus’ name together meaning there’s probably one language again. Hooray!
- King Jesus will reign over us in our new bodies, also. Our bodies were designed by God for life on this earth. Not to live in heaven, but to live on this earth. Isn’t that interesting?
Resurrected saints will serve in the role of priests of God. Perhaps we will be the ones teaching the mortal humans all about God and how to live dependently on Him. We will also be reigning with Him, whatever that requires.
“Although believers are encouraged to individually live in peace with each other and with unbelievers, we humans can never bring about world peace.” (Revelation 20:6)
The mortal humans will still have freedom of choice.
The Future Millenials who are mortal humans will still have the freedom of choice that God originally gave Adam and Eve. What does human freedom look like in an environment where the Healer will be healing and extending life way beyond our experience now?
As mortal humans, the Future Millenials will still have the sin nature. If anyone chooses to rebel against the king, it’s because of his/her own lusts. No one can blame the world with Jesus on the throne or the devil because he and his cohorts will be bound.
At the end of the 1000 years, Satan will be released. He’ll instigate a rebellion among non-believing mortals and finally be defeated. Doesn’t it baffle you that anyone living under Jesus’ perfect rule in an almost perfect world would rebel against Him? That’s how strong the sin nature is.
Life forever on a new earth—fully restored creation
After that time, God’s heaven comes to a newly restored earth. The scripture calls God’s new dwelling place the New Jerusalem. It will be absolutely beautiful.
But, there’s a lot of living to come between now and then as we move around here, then move out to our new bodies, and move back to planet Earth with our King Jesus.
When it comes to heaven, we probably have a lot more questions than answers at this time. But, one thing we can know for sure. If we are living life today as though Jesus were our King ruling on earth, living dependently on Him each day, considering His presence and His will throughout the day (not just in the morning or evening), we will be a whole lot closer to understanding what real Kingdom living is all about.
For us, the hope of heaven should transform our perspective on death. We also shouldn’t long to escape this life. The point is not to escape from earth and find oneself at last in heaven, but to let God’s ‘heavenly’ life change our earthly reality.
Let Jesus satisfy your heart with His perspective on life in the present and in the future. Then, live securely in Him during this time of waiting.
Buy Perspective Bible Study at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.