This podcast covers Lesson 3 of Knowing Jesus…Knowing Joy! Bible Study by Melanie Newton.
Joy in Releasing Expectations
Expectations can become sinkholes for us
- Two types of storms hit us—those caused by our own disobedience and those that hit through no fault of our own.
- When we go through such difficulties of life, we all have what we would consider acceptable outcomes. But, those expectations can become sinkholes if we try to hold onto them too tightly.
Joy requires us to release our expectation of acceptable outcomes
- When we approach troubles with expectations of what we think are acceptable outcomes and then something else happens, our disappointment and anger can explode like geysers shooting out of a “now-empty pond.”
- We need to hold onto those expected answers with open fingers. We must release them to Jesus, and let Him decide what to do.
- Paul gave us an example of how to do that regarding his own life and ministry. Philippians 1:12-18
- Paul released his expectation of only one acceptable outcome. Getting out of prison would be great. But, if God chose to leave him there or to have him executed, Paul considered those as acceptable outcomes as well. And, he could rejoice at any one of God’s acceptable outcomes.
Rejoice at God’s acceptable outcome
- When you release your expectation of acceptable outcomes, you can rejoice at what God is going to do instead of complaining about what God did not do.
- We can avoid the sinkholes of unreleased expectations by releasing them. Trust in His goodness in whatever He chooses to do in that situation.
- It’s okay to ask for your heart’s desire. But, leave the decision in His hand. Accept the outcome that He provides. And, let Him fill your heart with joy in whatever He chooses to do.
What trials are you going through right now? What in your mind do you expect to happen as acceptable outcomes? Maybe it’s time to release those expectations and stay on solid ground.
Want to have joy in your life?
Let Jesus satisfy your heart with the fullness of His joy. Then, live in that joy!
Joyful Walk Bible Studies by Melanie Newton are available through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.