Wipe Out the Narcissism Infection-S3Ep9
This podcast covers Lesson 8 of Healthy Living Bible Study by Melanie Newton.
Wipe Out the Narcissism Infection
What do I mean by the Narcissism infection?
- Narcissism is an unhealthy self-focus centered on promoting oneself to the extent of doing damage to anyone who doesn’t bolster one’s image.
- This infection is transmitted by any system of thought that teaches people to put their own needs first and to focus on feeling good about themselves.
- You can recognize the narcissism infection when what someone says or does communicates to the world, “It’s all about me.”
We do several things to encourage self-centeredness in our society. One is tolerating and even promoting adolescent behavior in adults. Another is dumbing-down the definition of what we consider acceptable youth behavior. Both of these stem from parenting children in a manner that promotes self-centered personal growth. (Ron Newton, No Jerks On The Job)
- Narcissism feeds on our natural tendency to let self be our master in life. That’s where we are most susceptible to this infection.
The flesh focuses on self and wants to master you
- The Bible says that since the time of Adam, we are born with only sinful tendencies and no ability to be continually “good” or righteous on our own.
- What we call “human nature,” the Bible calls “the flesh.” The flesh is at war with the Spirit of God within us. The flesh focuses on self and wants to master you. The results are ugly. Colossians 3:5-9; Mark 7:20-23.
- Every human being has a master and is a servant to something—either God and His righteousness or sin and its wickedness. No neutral ground. You might think you are your own master, but you’re not. Self is really following the voice of master sin within.
Jesus Christ sets you free from the power of self
- All of your life before trusting in Christ, the old slave master sin called the shots. When you believed in Jesus, a greater power moved in—the Holy Spirit. He sets you free from the power of that old slave master to become what God intended you to be.
- You are not set free to be your own master. Your options are still to serve self or to serve God. But, you are finally dead to sin and self as your only You are set free to enjoy your new identity and relationship with your new master Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is living inside of you, wooing you to live a life that pleases God and away from “self” ruling your behavior.
- Jesus Christ as our Lord sets you free from the power of self, stopping our destructive anger, rage, hate, lies, and other self-centered actions.
Jesus wipes out the narcissism infection with His power
- Jesus Christ gave His life for you so he could give his life to you so he could live his life through you. That’s what He does. Submitting to Jesus Christ to let Him live His life through you wipes out the narcissism infection.
- Christ’s power in you enables you to be the person described in Colossians 3:12-17.
- When you are letting Jesus Christ rule in your heart, that is letting Him live His life through you. The results are peace, gratitude, joy, and giving glory to God rather than to yourself. The difference will be obvious in anyone being healed from the narcissism infection.
Jesus Christ is Lord over everything, including your sense of self and your behavior. As Lord over your behavior, He is powerful enough to change your self-centered behavior into others-focused behavior that pleases Him. But, you must choose to submit to Him as Lord rather than to yourself. He deserves it! Life is not all about you. It is all about Him. And, He can wipe out the influence of the narcissism infection on you and on me.
A spiritual infection takes you captive to something other than Christ. The Narcissism infection is bad. In fact, it can be deadly to yourself and to others around you. Knowing the truth of God’s grace that you have in Jesus Christ gives you an immune system that wipes out this spiritual infection.
Let Jesus satisfy your heart needs with His truth and His love so you can get well and stay well.