The God You Can Know and Love-S10Ep9
The God You Can Know and Love
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” (Mark 12:31)
What is theology?
- Theology is simply what you believe about God. All women are theologians. And, it matters if we are good ones or not.
- You have influence. So, understanding the truth about God and being able to communicate that truth in casual conversation and serious discussion is one of your greatest assets for any relationship.
- We learn theology like we learn most anything else in life—prepare by instruction, learn by experience. Prepare by instruction means studying the truths about God in the Bible. Learn by experience means to trust in what you have learned about God as you live out your life.
- It’s as we study the truth about God in the Bible then trust Him as we live our lives that we learn true theology. You and I can face any impossible situation if we are prepared by instruction about God and teachable to learn through experience with God.
The God you can know
- We can know the truth about God by what are called His attributes. An “attribute” is a quality or characteristic of someone or something.
- The attributes of God are things we can know about God. They describe His character and are true about Him all the time. God’s greatness is far beyond human understanding. But, God has revealed enough about Himself in His Word so we can know who He is.
God’s attributes reveal His character.
So, let’s consider a few of the attributes of God and how each one affects your view of God and your relationship with Him.
- God’s sovereignty. God is the sovereign ruler over His creation. He rules it with supreme authority and power. 2 Samuel 7:22
- God’s holiness. God is set apart from anything that is sinful or evil. Habakkuk 1:13a
- God’s omnipresence, omnipotence, and Psalm 139:5-6 NIRV
- God’s omnipresence: God is present everywhere at the same time.
- God’s omnipotence: God is all powerful, more powerful than anything or anyone else in the entire universe.
- God’s omniscience: God is all knowing. He knows everything there is to know.
- God’s love. God’s love is patient, kind, forgiving and considers what is best for the one being loved. Psalm 103:8
- God’s goodness. God is good all the time. He is good in the tough times, in different ways for each person, and in what He allows or does not allow into our lives. Psalm 119:68
God is trustworthy of your love.
- Trust (faith) is always an issue of credibility. Knowing God’s character plus His promises gives you plenty of reasons to consider Him trustworthy.
- God is also a trustworthy Father. The moment you placed your trust in Jesus Christ for your salvation, you were adopted into God’s family as His child. He is the perfect Father, the most loving Father, the most dependable Father, and the Father who cares about your every need. You are dearly loved by your Father God.
Knowing the truth about God leads to following Jesus.
- What Jesus did and said in His earthly life was an unmistakable demonstration of God to the people of Jesus’ day.
- The cross followed by the resurrection is the single most important event in human history and a demonstration of God’s attributes. There is only one way to the true God—by faith in His Son Jesus Christ. That's His plan.
- Christianity is Christ! It’s not a lifestyle or rules of conduct. It’s not a society whose members were initiated by the sprinkling or covering of water. We are called first and foremost to a relationship with a Person—Jesus Christ.
God’s plan for your life is simple: Follow His Son. But, you won’t follow someone you don’t trust. You can’t trust someone you don’t know, and you cannot know Christ apart from His Word. (Rebecca Carrell, heartstrongfaith.com)
- We must see Him through eyes of faith and allow the gospels to leap off the page revealing our Lord.
- Through seeing Jesus in the pages of the gospels, we get to see who God is because Jesus has the attributes of God—the very same ones.
- Women need good theology so we don't get caught sitting on the fence like some of the people of Jesus’ day did. And, if we have good theology about our God, then we won't do harm when family and friends depend on us for counsel.
Let Jesus satisfy your heart with hope, healing, and love as you get to know Him and trust Him more each day.