This podcast covers Lesson 11 of Adorn Yourself with Godliness Bible Study by Melanie Newton.
The Gospel: God’s Cure for Our Fatal Sin Disease
Christ’s finished work on the cross
As a direct result of Christ’s finished work on the cross, our relationship with God is changed because of our faith in Jesus Christ. What Jesus’s death on the cross accomplished for us are described by six truths we can know and claim for ourselves. They are gifts of the cross for us.
Word of the Cross #1 is Propitiation.
- God’s holy wrath against all sin is fully satisfied by Jesus’s sacrifice on the cross. Because of that, God is able to extend mercy to every believer in Christ. There is no longer any sacrifice that anyone can ever do to satisfy God’s wrath against sin apart from what Christ has already done. It’s done, finished! Romans 5:9
- Because you’ve trusted Christ and are now found in Christ, you can know and live with confidence that God is satisfied and no longer angry at your sin—ever!
Word of the Cross #2 is Reconciliation.
- God restored our broken relationship with Him by reconciling us to Himself through Jesus’s death on the cross. God chose to do that out of his love for us. Romans 5:10
- Because you’ve trusted Christ and are now found in Christ, you can know and live with confidence that your relationship with God is restored and no longer broken.
Word of the Cross #3 is Redemption.
- Every human born on this planet is born into bondage to “the kingdom of darkness” and a “slave to sin.” Jesus paid the ransom price for you to be released from that bondage. When you trust in Jesus, you become the possession of a loving, merciful God and are able to live a life that pleases God. Colossians 1:13; Romans 6
- Because you’ve trusted Christ and are now found in Christ, you can know and live with confidence that you’ve been released and are no longer in bondage to sin and guilt.
Word of the Cross #4 is Forgiveness.
- God stepped in and did for us what we couldn’t do for ourselves. He transferred our sin to a substitute, Jesus, and it was taken away—all of it from the time you were born through the time of your death has been canceled. As an already forgiven Christian, you can go through the biblical process for dealing with recognized sin. (See the podcast for Lesson 9). Colossians 2:14
- Because you’ve trusted Christ and are now found in Christ, you can know and live with confidence that you’ve been forgiven and are no longer burdened by your sin and guilt.
Word of the Cross #5 is Justification.
- Because of Christ's finished work on the cross, God chooses to give a “not guilty” status to anyone who places their faith in Jesus Christ. Then, you get His righteousness. When God looks on you, He sees His Son’s righteousness taking the place of your sin—even your sin after you’ve been a believer for a long time. Colossians 1:22
- Because you’ve trusted Christ and are now found in Christ, you can know and live with confidence that you’ve been declared righteous and are no longer guilty of your sin.
Word of the Cross #6 is Sanctification.
- By faith in Jesus Christ, God declares us holy in His sight. Every believer has been set apart as God's special, beloved possession for His exclusive use. You are also “being made holy” in your thoughts, words, and actions by the Holy Spirit so that we become in thought and behavior what we are in status—holy as God is holy. Colossians 3
- Because you’ve trusted in Christ and are now found in Him, you can know and live with confidence that you are set apart by God, for God. In His eyes, you are perfected and no longer flawed.
Christ’s resurrection; our regeneration
- Christ’s resurrection opened the way for you to get new life that would never be taken away again because of your sin. That’s “regeneration” and refers to the “restoration of spiritual life to one who is spiritually dead.” Ephesians 2:5; 2 Corinthians 5:17
- We get this new life at the moment of salvation the Holy Spirit indwells us. We, who were once dead, are made alive by the indwelling Holy Spirit who unites you to Christ so that “Christ in you” is a fact of your new existence. Colossians 1:27
- Because you’ve trusted in Christ and are now found in Him, you can know and live with confidence that God’s life is now indwelling you forever. You are made alive and no longer dead.
- This begins a new adventure of learning how to live with Christ in you and depending upon Him to do anything of value in your life. We can adorn ourselves with godliness because we have the life of Christ in us.
What could be a more beautiful, worthwhile goal than to adorn yourself with godliness … to put yourself in order with the very character of God … to arrange to live your life properly displaying the beliefs you claim to profess … to dress, act, and be like Him for Him!
Let Jesus satisfy your heart with such love for God that you will want to live a life that pleases Him.
Buy Adorn Yourself with Godliness Bible Study at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.