The What and Why of Godliness-S14Ep1
This podcast covers the Introduction of Adorn Yourself with Godliness Bible Study by Melanie Newton.
The What and Why of Godliness
Every morning when you approach the mirror to get ready, do you wish that you could simply put on one thing, or do just one thing, that would present you to the world looking just the way you would like to look? You can do that! Each and every day, you can adorn yourself with godliness.
What “adorn yourself” means
- The English word “adorn” translates the Greek word kosmeo from which we get our word “cosmetic.” It means, “to arrange, to put in order, make ready, to ornament.” We adorn ourselves in daily life to fulfill a purpose. Adorning yourself is a good thing.
What godliness means
Godliness is devotion to God expressed in a life that is pleasing to Him.
- Devotion to God means you are dedicated to Him. You are firmly attached to Him. Whatever He wants, you want. It is a loyal love for God.
- Godliness is devotion in action. Your loyal love for God expresses itself in a life that reflects His character. Who He is. And that is pleasing to Him.
- We adorn ourselves with godliness by first being completely devoted to Him, loving Him so much that we want to reflect His character as we live our lives. We take on His likeness—Godlikeness, not becoming God but presenting Him.
- Jesus is our example of godliness as a human. He presented the attributes of Father God to everyone who saw Him. He adorned Himself with godliness through humility, compassion, love, prayer, dependency on God the Father, good works, and many more ways. His devotion to God was expressed in a life that reflected God and was pleasing to God. John 14:6
- Devotion to God is not just living by a set of rules. God isn’t interested in outward conformity. When our hearts are right, we will want to obey Him with our thinking and behavior. We will want to reflect Him well because we love Him so much.
Adorning ourselves with Christ
- Since Jesus is our example of what it looks like to adorn ourselves with godliness, we need to read through the Gospels, getting to know Jesus well. Then, we should continue reading through the whole New Testament to get the big picture of how those early Christians adorned themselves with godliness. We can learn from their examples.
- The absolutely wonderful news is this: We have been given everything we need for godliness. First, through knowing Him. Then, we get His divine power. The Holy Spirit begins to work right away at transforming you to look more like Christ. 2 Peter 1:3
- From the time you are saved until you die and enter heaven, you are never without the ability to be godly. It’s not based on your own ability but on His power working to bring about godliness in you. We CAN live a godly life because of His Spirit in us.
- But, it’s a cooperative effort. He is always working. But, we can resist His work. That’s why godliness begins with devotion to God—loving Him so much that you want to live a godly life that pleases Him.
- It’s not perfection. It’s loyal love for God that leads to obedience and humility and awareness of Whose we are and why we are here.
Why should Christian women desire to adorn ourselves with godliness?
- You and I should desire to adorn ourselves with godliness …
- For God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ because of our love for them and gratitude for what they have done for our salvation (1 Timothy 4:10). This is our first and foremost reason.
- For ourselves and our fellow Christians because godly behavior is good for us in every way (1 Timothy 6:6, 19; Titus 2:11-13).
- For others who are watching us because godliness makes the teaching about Christ attractive and draws unbelievers to the God we know and serve (Titus 2:10).
- Among those watching are the “fashion police”—the ones who oppose Christ and the Gospel, looking for an excuse not to believe. When we adorn ourselves with godliness, there is nothing for “them” to accuse.
- Among those watching are the “shoppers”—with hearts open to God. They just need to see Him through you and I displaying His character. They want to believe.
- For anyone watching, when we adorn ourselves with godliness because of our love for Him, the word of God will not be dishonored or discredited.
You can make the daily choice to adorn yourself with godliness.
Every morning, as you look in the mirror, see who you really are, a woman of God who is totally loved and accepted by Him because of your faith in His Son Jesus Christ. What could be a more beautiful, worthwhile goal than to adorn yourself with godliness … to put yourself in order with the very character of God … to arrange to live your life properly displaying the beliefs you profess … to dress, act, and be like Him for Him!
Let Jesus satisfy your heart with such love for God that you will want to live a life that pleases Him.